1) We introduced the RIMQG's first Board of Directors:
- Swim, Bike, Quilt
- Pile O' Fabric (this page has many links to resources, including beginner step-by-step instructions)
- 365 Days of FMQ - Leah Day
- How to modify your FMQ foot (if you experience too much ‘bouncing’ of the foot)
1) Introducing RIMQG membership forms
As we prepare to join the Modern Quilt Guild "mothership" (thanks CA!) we announced that we will be covering a few crucial bases at our November meeting:
2) presenting our guild's bylaws
3) introducing RIMQG membership forms
4) announce what our annual membership dues will be and how they will be collected
Look for another blog post with the details from our 3x3 speakers on their process for designing quilts:
1) use Excel to design quilts and calculate yardage
2) use graph paper to sketch quilts, and carry a notebook to jot down quick ideas and inspirations
3) how to brainstorm ideas, answering the question "where do I start?"
Show & Tell
1. Quilt colors will be red, yellow, blue and white. These are the colors of the CO and NM state flags. Fabrics may be solid or print, as long as they are these colors.
2. I'd appreciate help from all skill levels. I'm a beginner sewer, so I encourage even the least experienced to give it a try! I found the Scrappy Trip Along to be a very simple, yet fun, block to do.
3. Blocks should be 12½" tall by whatever length you'd like. This means they may be 12½" by 6" or 12½" by 16" (Scrappy Trip Along becomes 12½" by 12½")
4. Please use quality quilting fabric and thread.
Please mail blocks by November 1st to:
182 Camp Westwood Road
Greene, RI 02827
Contact Amanda with any questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
"3x3" Speakers: As an introduction to the Design Your Own Quilt Challenge due in November, we are having a series of 3 speakers (awesome members of our group!) discuss for 3 minutes each about their design process. We hope this sparks some inspiration if you're having some trouble getting started; or it might just inspire you to test out a new design process!
We issued a new challenge for our November meeting. As we continue to explore our goal of "designing your own quilts", our challenge is to bring an item that you designed yourself. We will dive into this during our October meeting with a "3x3" (three individuals who talk for 3 minutes each) about their design process.
- A new quilt shop called Knit One Quilt Too is opening in Barrington on September 24th.
- For longarm resources - our members Sue, Alison, and Pat all offer longarm services, or check out Mad About Quilts in Mansfield where you can rent a longarm machine for your own use.
- Craftsy is a great resources for online quilting classes.
- Ningret Quilters has an upcoming show from October 18-20 in Westerly.
Our next meeting will be Saturday, October 5th at 2pm at Ryco. Bring a show and tell piece, work in progress, or even the November challenge project (if you've finished early!)
Meeting this Saturday - 9/7 at 2pm
Show & Tell: Bring something in-progress or finished to share with the group.
Make it Modern Challenge: Our challenge for this meeting is to take something that's usually "traditional" in quilting and make it "modern" - whatever that may mean to you. Bring your project and we'll continue our exploration of what defines Modern Quilting.
Improv Quilting Demo: Coco will demonstrate the process of improv quilting, or quilting without a set pattern/plan in mind.
AND mark your calendars for our upcoming meetings this fall:
10/5 at 2pm
11/9 at 2pm
12/7 at 2pm
As always, we'll be at Ryco Creating Sewing Center.